Major Indian English Writers
? Major Indian Writer in English literature ?
1. Toru Dutt(1865-1877)- born in a Hindu family in Ram Bagan Calcutta. Her father name is Giving chunder Dutt who was a linguist and cultured man. Her famous writings are: 1 . The Lotus 2 . Our casuarina tree 3. The pilgrim of the Night.
2. Ravindra Nath Tagore: His famous writings are: 1 The Gardner 2 Fruit Gathering 3 Stray Birds 4 The Home And the World.
3. Mulk Raj Anand- Mulk Raj Anand India’s most controversial novelist was born in 1905 in Peshawar now in Pakistan but then in the North West frontier province of India. His famous writings are: 1 the old woman and the cow 2 the colour of Darkness and other stories 3. the morning face?
4. R.K. Narayan:- R. K Narayan was born on October 10 19068 South Indian village in Rasipuram and Madras. His father’s name was Krishnaswamy Iyer. ‘ R ‘ the first letter in his name is Trends for Rasipuram and K for his father Krishnaswamy
His works: his Novel Swami and Friends 1935, The English Teacher 1945, the bachelor of arts 1947 and the dark room 1938 was published in a click sessions. These novels enjoyed a great popularity and brought him money and fame. Other works are the guide 1958 next Sunday a collection of sketches and essays 1960 my dateless diary 1960 a horse and two goats 1970 version of Ramayana based on Kamban, Tamil poet was published in 1973. R.K . Narayan was awarded Padma Bhushan in 1964.
5. Nissim Ezekil- nissim ezekiel was born in Bombay in 1924 he belongs to Israel family with migrated to India generation ago and settled down in Mumbai.He is currently the professor of University of Mumbai. This poetry is both the instrument and the outcome of his attempt as a man to come with himself. His works: A time to change 1952 . The third1959, the unfinished man 1963, three plays 1969 the railway clerk.
6. Keki N. Daruwala: his works: crossing of the river 1976, landscapes 1987,he was honoured with the Sahitya Academy Award in 1984.
7. Anita Desai- Anita Desai is a novelist and short story writer. She has written children’s book too.She was born in India in 1937 . we are proud of her on her achievements in the field of literature hermes writings include: cry the peacock 1963, Voices In The City 1965, In custody 1984, fasting feasting 2000.
8. Sarojini Naidu- Sarojini Naidu is known as Nightingale of India. she is counted among the sweetest Indo English singers both at home and abroad .she was gifted singer and poetess. she was born and Hyderabad on 30th of January 1879. She was elected the president of Indian National Congress. Who was appointed the Governor of Uttar Pradesh .she was the first woman governor of independent India. The first Volume came under ‘The title of the Golden threshold after she produced two more volumes The Broken wing and The Bird of time. She died in 1949.
9. Aravind Adiga (Indian Writer )- “The White Tiger” is the first novel of Arvind Adiga which made him popular in India and abroad. Aravind Adiga won Booker Prize for literature in 2008 for “The White Tiger” which made the readers by its realistic presentation of the world of corruption spread in all fields of Indian life. Many of the situations in the novel have parallels with the contemporary Indian events.
Adiga’s other novels are also worth reading and he is such an author who has something to say to the world about its realities.
10. Babani Bhattacharya ( Indian Writer )- Babani Bhattacharya is a well known Indian English writer who has a permanent place in the history of Indo – Anglian literature.
Battacharya’s mastery lies in fusing myth and reality, as well as in blending history and present day tragedies of human beings. His novels have been translated into many languages.
So Many Hungers” a novel dealing with the man made famine of Bengal, is considered as his masterpiece by critics.
11. Chetan Bhagat ( Indian Writer ) Chetan Bhagat was born 22nd April 1974 is an author of Indian Origin popular and an eminent speaker. Chetan Bhagat is the author of four bestseller novels Five Point Someone 2004, one night @ the Call Centre 2005, The 3 Mistakes of My Life 2008 and Two States 2009. Half girlfriend by Chetan Bhagat latest novel
Chetan Bhagat is a famous author with a lot of record breaking best selling books. It is said that all of his novels are best sellers which no other Indian writer can claim till now. The most interesting fact about his writings is that they tell us more truth than fiction.
Revolution 2020 is the most acclaimed novel as it depicts the worse condition of Indian society which suffering from nepotism (भाई भतीजावाद ) and corruption.
12. My Monday post: Arundhati Roy: I was born on November 24 1961 in Shillong Meghalaya. A.R is an internationally best selling celebrity author of famous Novel the God of Small Things won the Booker prize for her work in social and advocacy of nonviolence.
13. Vikram Seth: Vikram Seth is a famous Indian poet ,novelist, travel writer ,children’s writer ,biography. Vikram Seth was born on June 20 1952 at Kolkata .His father Prem was employee of the Bata India Limited shoe company. Vikram Seth is an Indian writer of the centuries longest English novel A Suitable Boy .he won the 1994 Commonwealth writer price and also Britain’s 1994 WH Smith prize the golden age won him sahitya Academy Award is his best novel.
14. Kiran Desai: she was born in Chandigarh in 1971. resize first book Hullabaloo, second book The Inheritance of Loss.
15. Amrita Pritam: Amrita Pritam August 31 1992 -October 31 2005 was an Indian writer and poet considered the first prominent women Punjabi. Novelist and and essayist and the leading 20 century poet of the Punjabi language is , novelist, on both the sides of India Pakistan border.Her works: Aaj Aakhan Waris Shan nu.
16. RUSKIN BOND (Indian Writer)- Ruskin Bond is Well known for his role in promoting children’s literature in India. He basically belongs to Britain. He was born in Kasauli and grew up in Shimla and Dehradun. His life in the different hill stations of Himalayas has greatly influenced his stories and writing style.
With a litarary career of over 50 years, he has experimented with many different genres of literature. For example
children’s fiction, short stories, novels, non-fiction, etc.
He was awarded the Padma Shri in 1999 and Padma Bhushan in 2014. His greatest works include-
- The Room on the Roof,
- A Flight of Pigeons,
- Delhi is Not Far,
- The Night Train at Deoli
- The Blue Umbrella.
17. Nirad C. Chaudhari (Indian Writer) – His world Famous Book “The Autobiography of an Unknown Indian”
This book made N C Chaudhari one of India’s greatest writers. It was Published in 1951. The book describes the life of the writer from the time he was born in 1897 in Bangladesh to his youth in Calcutta. The book is considered as Nirad’s masterpiece
It has beautifully captured every minute detail of his surroundings and of Modern India. It has received worldwide acclaim. The British Prime Minister Winston Churchill himself considered it one of the best books he had ever read.
In 1998, it was included as one of the few Indian contributions in The New Oxford Book of English Prose.
18 .Jai Ratan- Godan is a Hindi novel written by the great story writer and novelist Munshi Premchand. It was translated into English by the name of “The Gift of a Cow”. It was translated into English in 1957 by Jai Ratan.
It’s theme is the socio economic deprivation and the exploitation of the poor people of villages. GODAN is also counted as a classic in the world Literature.
No of Questions-37
Q1. R.k Narayan was born I Madras in ;
Q2 R. K Narayan was awarded ........ in 1964 ;
Q3 . Nirad C Chaudhuri was fascinated by;
Q4 the most famous Novel of Raja Rao is;
Q5 . Raja Rao sees Gandhi ji as:
Q6. Kamla Das has written in:
Q7 .The Apprentice is a novel by:
Q.8 Toru Dutt learnt enough
Q.9 Tagore was awarded the Nobel Prize for literature in
Q.10 Sri Aurobindo was born in
Q.11 Sarojini Naidu was
Q.12 Murad C. Chaudhary was born in 1897 in
13. The poem "Our Casurina Tree" has been composed by
14. .......... was awarded by Nobel Prize for his great creation "Geetanjali".
15. "My Experiment with Truth" is the autobiography of
16. "The Portrait of a Lady" is the work of
17. "The God of Small Things" the novel written by Arundhati Rai was given the ...
18. The Bollywood film "Three Idiots" was featured on the book ......... written by Chetan Bhagat.
19. The famous writer Kiran Desai is the daughter of the famous writer .........
20. Which famous indian writer is termed as a "Scientist of English Fiction"
Q.21 Mahapatra began writing poetry in English
Q.22 Ramanujan translated some... poems into English
Q.23 Arun kolatkar worked as a
Q.24 the major theme in ParthaSarthy's poetry is
Q.25 Kamala Das is written in
Q.26 in 1984 Daruwalla was honoured with
Q.27 Karnad worked as director
28. With whom does modern Indian literature begin ?
29. Gitanjali songs are mainly poem of....
30. Toru dutt used to write in ..
31. The nightingale of India is a title given to. ..
32. Salman Rishdie won Booker prize for....
33. A suitable boy is written by...
34. 3 idiots film is based on...
35. Cry the peacock is written by...
36. the writer of the serpent and the Rope. ...
37. the writer of Young India is....
Specially thanks to Post and Quiz makers ( With Regards )