A Noun is a word used as the name of a person, place, or thing. For example Ram, Mohan, Sita, Gita, Delhi, America, Shakespeare, pen, paper, cigarette, soldier, etc.
Classification of Noun with examples
The noun is classified into the following groups. They are :
Look at the sentences :
Vikramaditya was a great king.
The Noun Vikramaditya refers to a particular king, but the Noun king might be used with any other king. We call Vikramaditya a Proper Noun and king a Common Noun.
Gauri is a girl.
Here, Gauri is a Proper Noun, while the girl is a Common Noun.
Ramesh is a boy.
Here, Ramesh is a Proper, while the boy is a Common.
Delhi is a city.
Here, Delhi is a Proper, while the city is Common.
Canada is a country.
Here, Canada is a Proper, while the country is a Common Noun.
1. Common Nouns
A common Noun is a name shared commonly by every person, place, or thing of the same class or kind.
जब कोई चीज या प्राणी एक ही प्रकार के अनेक पाये जाते हैं तो उन शब्दों को common noun कहते हैं
Note ?? Collective Nouns और Abstract Nouns को भी Common Nouns मे शामिल किया जाता है
ex:- table, chair, dog, etc
2. Proper Nouns
A proper noun is the name of a particular person, place, or thing. जब कोई वस्तु एक प्रकार की एक ही हो, तो उसे proper noun कहते हैं ex:-
- (A) जीवित प्राणियों के नाम:- Ram, Hari
- (B) पर्वतों के नाम :- The Himalayas, The Vindhyas
- (C) नदियों के नाम :- The Ganga, The Yamuna
- (D) राज्यो के नाम :- U. P, Bengal, Bihar
- (E) देश के नाम :- India, Britain
Proper Noun Characteristics ( विशेषताये )
- ये शब्द बड़े अक्षर (capital letter) में लिखे जाते हैं
- इनके पहले A या A N नही लगता है the का प्रयोग कभी कभी होता है
- इनका बहुवचन (plural number) नही होता है
3. Collecting nouns
Naming groups are collective nouns. in other words collective nouns are words used for a group of people or things. Ex.- class, army, committee, team(it includes a group of some people), Crowd(crowd of people), etc
Note – Collective Nouns are Neuter Gender. Collective Nouns सदैव singular के रूप use होते है । Common Nouns की तरह हो तो इन्हे plural के रूप मे भी use कर सकते है
4. Abstract nouns
things that can’t be seen touched smelt heard or tasted but only can be felt are called abstract nouns.
Ex. Obedience, growth, honesty, health, childhood, Truth, danger, happiness. Etc
5. Material Nouns
A Material Noun is the name given to a material substance of which various things are made, such as wood, brass, iron, gold, silver, copper, etc.
Note – Material Nouns को गिना नही जा सकता । इन्हे केवल मापा या तोला जा सकता है । इनके पहले कोई article भी use नही होता । ये सदैव singular number मे use होते है ।
6. Compound Noun
When two Noun words come together for a single meaning, it is called Compound nouns. as- I like ice-cream
There are two numbers in noun numbers singular and plural.
1. Singular:- When we speak about one person and one thing, we use the noun in the singular form.
- A man is smoking within the premises.
- This chair is made of plastic.
- A group of cows is called a herd. In these sentences, the nouns man, chair, group are in singular forms.
2. Plural:- When we speak about more than one person or one thing, we use the noun in plural form.
- Few men are standing in the foyer.
- The groups of cows, coming back to their sheds, are not milch cows.
- These chairs are made of plastic.
- children should be given proper guidance.
In these sentences, the words men, group, chair, children are plural nouns.
How to make plural from singular
1. For making the plural form of most of the nouns, add s.
- Joy – joys
- run – runs
- radio – radios
- bottle – bottles
- Star – stars
- pencil – pencils
- desk – desks
- Student – students
2. For nouns that end in ch, x, ss, sh, or s sounds, add es.
- Glass – glasses
- bench – benches
- hero – heroes
- mango – mangoes
- box – boxes
- watch – watches
- moss – mosses
- bus – buses
- brush – brushes
- Class – classes
3. For nouns that end with y, remove y and add ies
- lady- ladies
- city – cities
- Army – armies
- Country – countries
- Baby – babies
- Fly – Flies
- Sky – skies
4. By changing the inside vowel of the singular
- foot – feet
- goose – geese
- child – children
- woman – women
- man – men
- mouse – mice
5. For nouns ending in f or fe, change f to v and add es.
- wolf – wolves
- wife – wives
- leaf – leaves
- life – lives
- Calf – calves
6. A few nouns have the same singular and plural forms.
- sheep – sheep
- deer – deer
- series – series
- species – species
Specially thanks to Post writers ( With Regards )
Ravikant Diwakar Kanpur Uttar Pradesh, Chirag Balyan Muzaffarnagar, Rajesh Ji Lovely, Dilip Ji Prajapati, Vishnu Ji mp,