Past Indefinite Tense is also called the past simple tense or simple past tense. In Hindi it is called Samanya bhootkaal or anishchit bhootkaal.This tense is used only to tell about the things of past. We use the 2nd form of the main verb in this tense.
यह Tense भूतकाल में क्रिया की सामान्य अवस्था को व्यक्त करता है।
The 2nd form of verb is mostly used in this Tense.
I went to Kolkata yesterday.
Shreya sang a beautiful song in the concert.
पहचान – ता था, ती थी, ते थे, गया था, आया था गये थे, गया, आया, किया इत्यादि
सहायक क्रिया – did
मुख्य क्रिया – 1st form, 2nd form
Affirmative- H.V.- did+ v1
वह नहीं आया |
He did not come.
AUXILIARY VERB “”Did””
Did is very unique and interesting auxiliary verb which is used in Past Indefinite Tense.
Some qualities of DID
1. It is used only in Past Indefinite Tense.
Ravi ran very fast.
I saw an elephant.
They helped us.
Kuber jumped into the pond.
All these sentences are past tense.
2. It is used with all the subjects.
That means “Did” agrees with all types of subjects.
I did not go.
We did not play.
He did not eat.
They did not speak.
You did not do your work.
I, we, he, they, you are the subjects with different persons and numbers.
3. It is always hidden in affirmative sentence. ( When it is not used emphatically)
He asked me to go.
Meena sang a song.
Komal went to college.
They paid the bill.
Did is hidden in all these affirmative sentences.
4. It changes the 1st form of verbs into 2nd forms.
Play + did = Played
Walk + did = Walked
See + did = Saw
Think + did = Thought
Arrive + did = Arrived
Fly + did = Flied
Put + did = Put
Means, helping verb “Did” is always hidden in the 2nd forms of verbs.
Note-1. Second form ka use sirf past indefinite tense main Kiya jata hai Lekin negative and interrogative Banane ke liye first form ka use Kiya jata hai
For Example –
I went to school.
I did not go to school.
Did I go to school?
Did I not go to school?
past indefinite tense, past perfect tense aur past perfect continuous tense Sabhi tenses mein sabse Saral tense hai.
sabse Saral isliye kyoki In sabhi tenses mein Ek ek Hi auxiliary verbs ka use Kiya jata hai. lekin anya tenses me ek se Adhik auxiliary verbs ka use Kiya jata hai . Jis tense Mein Ek Se adhik helping verbs ka use Kiya jata hai unme Aksar students ko confusion rehta hai ki kaha par has ka use kare aur kaha par have ka. ya kahan par do ka use kare aur kahan par does ka. lekin past ke in tenses mein helping verb ke use me confusion hone ka Sawal hi nahi hai
Past indefinite tense me auxiliary verb “did” ka use Kiya jata hai. Chahe subject Kisi bhi person aur kisi bhi number Main Ho. example
- I did not break the chair.
- did he eat food?
- the children did the homework.
- did my friend meet you?
Is tense ke wakyo ka Hum Hindi mein 3 Prakar se translate kar sakte hain. for example
1. Jignesh went to college.
- Jignesh college jata tha.
- Jignesh college gaya tha.
- Jignesh college gaya.
2. Suman did not tell a lie.
- Suman jhooth Nahi boltata tha.
- Suman ne jhooth nahi bola tha. Suman ne jhooth Nahi bola.
3. they quarrelled a lot.
- we bahut jhagda Karte the.
- unho ne bahut jhagda kiya tha. unho Ne bahut jhagda Kiya.
4. Kishore Sang a song
- Kishore Geet Gaata tha.
- Kishore ne ek geet gaya tha.
- Kishore ne ek geet Gaya.
5. did the children make a noise? hindi anuwad
- kya bachche Shor machate the?
- kya bachcho Ne Shor machaya tha?
- kya bachcho Ne Shor machaya?
6. did you not go to school?
- kya Tum school nahi Jate the?
- kya tum school nahi gaye the?
- kya tum school nahi gaye?
USES of PAST INDEFINITE TENSE
(A). it is widely used in the stories:
For example –
- once upon a time there lived a poor man.
- one day the sun took a holiday
- Raja Krishna Dev ruled over the vast part of Bengal.
- the Lion said to the fox …
- the thief stole the precious necklace of the queen.
- The master scold the servant.
- the monkey and the crocodile became friends .
- the greedy man cheated his friend.
- the tortoise won the race
(B) In the life story of the great leaders.
- Gandhiji sacrificed his life for the freedom of India
- Nehruji became the 1st prime minister of India.
- He served the nation throughout his life.
- Rani Lakshmibai sacrificed everything for the freedom of India
- Subhash Chandra Bose organised Azad Hind Fauj
(C) in Historical events
- Babar defeated Ibrahim Modi in the 1st war of Panipat.
- Babar established the Mugal empire in India.
- India got freedom in 1947.
(D) to describe the experiences of life
- I saw a lion in the jungle.
- I saw the serial Mahabharat in my childhood for the first time.
- I missed the train .
- my class teacher made me the monitor my younger brother joined the NCC
(E) about Invention s and Discoveries
- Ex. Scientist J. L. Beird invented Television.
- Madam Curie discovered the radioactive elements Radium and Polonium.
- Columbus discovered the country America.
(F) in General knowledge questions
- who gave the theory of relativity?
- who invented the steam engine?
- who discovered the north pole?
- who invented the computer?
(G) about Dreams and Wishes
- I wanted to become a doctor she wished to be an engineer
- Ravi decided to become a scientist
Specially thanks to Post and Quiz makers ( With Regards )